09 October 2017

Snickerdoodles (Baking soda and cream of tartar free)

Want to make delicious cinnamon cookies that stay soft ? This Snickerdoodles recipe uses only baking powder, no baking soda and no cream of tartar involved !


Snickerdoodles no baking soda no cream of tartar
Snickerdoodles. Snickerdoodles.
That's a fun name. Where the heck does that word even come from ? BRB going on a Google search.

Snickerdoodles no baking soda no cream of tartar
Back from my Google Search, and apparently snickerdoodle either comes from the German word for snail, or it's a completely made up word. That sure helps.
ANYWAY.
The first time I made snickerdoodles, I used a recipe that called for baking soda and cream of tartar, except I didn't have any of those things. I replaced them by baking powder, but the cookies would get so hard once out of the oven ! It only occured to me to search the Internet for "baking soda free snickerdoodles" after I'd almost broken my teeth for the bajillionth time (alright, that's a slight exageration). I started looking for a recipe that used baking powder, and found this one from Joy of Baking. I gave it a try and that was it ! It was the snickerdoodle recipe. No baking soda, no cream of tartar, and the cookies stayed soft for days.
I've made this recipe several times since and it has never failed me. I've halved the recipe as cinnamon isn't a favorite in my family and I'd have to eat the entire batch by myself if I used the original measurements (which wouldn't be that big of a problem since these cookies are amazing and delicious, but you know, self control and health and all that.) I've also changed the measurements for the cinnamon sugar.

Snickerdoodles no baking soda no cream of tartar
Snickerdoodles no baking soda no cream of tartar


Ingrédients :
180g of flour
1/4 tsp of salt
1 tsp of baking powder
110g of softened butter
150g of sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
For the cinnamon sugar coating :
3 tbsp of sugar
1 tbsp of ground cinnamon

Instructions :
  • In a bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder.
  • In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
  • Slowly add in the dry ingredients.
  • Put the cookie dough in the fridge for 15 minutes.
  • Preheat the oven.
  • In a small bowl, make the cinnamon coating : mix the sugar and cinnamon together.
  • Using an ice cream scoop or spoons, form balls with the cookie dough, and roll them in the cinnamon coating.
  • Put the cookie dough balls on a baking paper covered baking sheet, making sure not to put them too close together as the snickerdoodles will spread as they bake.
  • Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the edges on the snickerdoodles are golden.

  • Notes :
  • If you're not a fan of cinnamon, you can still make these cookies ! Just replace the ingredients for the cinnamon coating with 1 tbsp of sugar and 2 packets of vanilla sugar.

  • Snickerdoodles no baking soda no cream of tartar
    Snickerdoodles no baking soda no cream of tartar

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Do you have a question about the recipe ? Have you tried the recipe ? Leave a comment ! :)

    Back To Top